You are looking to increase your profitability or build a great business or create fame and fortune or raise extraordinary kids living in the expression of their innate genius or be in perfect physical, emotional, mental, spiritual health & well-being or have loving harmonious relationships at home and at work or have a super successful career or make a huge impact through your work or be happy.
What if I invite you to replace each ’or' in the previous sentence with 'and'?
To create even one of the above feels like a struggle, leave alone create all of the above simultaneously. Why? And, how to access the power to create all of the above outcomes with grace and ease?
The reason it feels like a struggle is because we don't understand the science of creating outcomes and most often than not, do the opposite of what is required. To give you an analogy - the door opens on the inside and what we are doing is pushing it to open outwards. We work so hard to push the door to open, struggle with the resistance that the door is offering in return; feel exhausted, tired, frustrated, angry, upset, stressed at not seeing the result of the door opening inspite of all the effort we have put in. The energy, effort, struggle was not needed if only we had known that the door opened on the inside and had to be pulled instead of pushed.
Here's the process of creating outcomes effortlessly with the lightness of Being instead of the heaviness of Doing (when the doing is not originating in the Being):
1. To fulfil our intentions, we want to pull the door of Life instead of pushing it when it can only be pulled by not coming in the way of what’s naturally occurring. When we resist what is, we lose our energy in the resistance rather than using it for the process of creation. When we use Agility of Mind to joyously and gratefully receive what is naturally occurring as a gift, we open the door of creativity to create elegant, time and energy efficient solutions to fulfil our intentions by simply using what is.
In my previous business, the product had more features and hence, more price than what the target audience wanted. Instead of struggling in the earlier business model, I chose instead to reposition the product to another customer segment where needs, features and price are matched. If I had become frustrated like many of my peer entrepreneurs, I could not have broken my business model to evolve to the next one, which is professionally, personally and financially more fulfilling for me.
2. Have intentions instead of goals. An intention is a place to come from; while a goal is a place to go to.
When you are chasing a goal, your attention is on that point in the future when your goal is achieved. The gap between where I am and where I want to go creates in us a sense of lack, yearning, scarcity for what we don't have right now.
When fulfilling an intention, the attention is placed right here right now so that our energy is concentrated in the present moment, instead of being dissipated and dispersed. The attention is on our commitment to fulfil our intentions. From that concentrated attention and commitment to fulfil the intention (come what may), our actions are fired.
In the world of goals, there’s always somewhere else to reach. How can we be centred and grounded if we are racing to be somewhere else than where we are? Also, in that race, there is stress. The creative mind works best in a no-stress environment, where it experiences being still and centred. Then only the most effective, innovative ideas are generated to fulfil our intentions.
Goals are externally thrust upon, while intentions are internally inspired. Intentions focus on the right inputs and the joy of the journey, while goals focus on the output and short-lived excitement in the moment the goal is achieved. Goals require external sheen, charisma and motivation; while intentions require mindfulness, inner tranquility and inspiration.
My clients usually come to me with a goal to build a bigger business and increase their profitability. I coach them to shift their perspective to translate that goal into an intention of making a bigger difference to their employees, customers and family. They are always pleasantly surprised to find that their original goal gets fulfilled as a by-product of working on their intentions.
3. Articulate your intentions and make them SMART - Specific, Measurable, something that you believe is Achievable, something you believe is Realistic, Time-bound. The key here is your belief. Like Henry Ford said - Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are right!
Without a smartly articulated intention, we have no pole star to guide us. Without the pole star, we are a rudderless boat being aimlessly thrown around in the direction the waves of circumstance push us.
What are your intentions this Lifetime? What are your impossible, unimaginable dreams this Lifetime; the idea of fulfilling them itself leaves you refreshed, rejuvenated, energized? Do you have a Dream Lifestyle that you are playing to create? Do you have this year’s articulated intentions to support you to create physical, emotional, intellectual / mental, spiritual health and well-being? What do you want to create through your Life, through your work? If today were your last day, creating what so far would fulfil you the most and leave you with no pain of leaving the earthly abode?
4. The sacred scripture from my culture, Bhagavad Gita, mentors us to be detached from the outcomes. Let us dig deeper into the logic behind it. When I am needy for the outcomes, I shut myself from different kind of outcomes which may be more effective than what is stuck in my head. I also become risk averse because I am so tied to the outcomes I am desperately seeking. In this desperation and neediness, we don’t make the highest choices to create impossible magical outcomes. Instead, we choose safe, tried and tested options which will only lead us on the path of mediocrity.
When our focus and attention is on the input side and our emotional state does not sway like a pendulum based on the output of our actions or reactions of people around us, our input is of higher quality resulting in a higher quality output. We are also able to enjoy the process of learning and creation.
If I were attached to making my previous business successful, I would not have had the courage to hibernate it to start another business from scratch after 7 years of building my previous business. I thank Grace for the detachment because now I am building a business which is much more closely connected to my purpose this Lifetime, which fills me up with greater joy and passion, which challenges me infinitely more and hence creates a pathway for me to grow that much more than what was possible before.
5. When we are attached to the outcome, to what we are seeking to create; not having it right now creates scarcity, lack, yearning, impatience to create, choosing short-cuts instead of increasing leadership depth to evolve from evolutionary fear to compassionate love for ourselves and for all beings, deepening craft mastery to be the world’s best in what we do, creating business excellence to make a dent in the Universe through the work we do.
I chose to extend myself globally in search of my tribe, my community who I would be inspired to coach, focus on being a master of my craft, deepen myself as a leader, as a human being, build my business through making a huge difference to my current clients instead of spending time on marketing, promoting, networking for quicker returns.
Wishing you the joy of the journey this Lifetime and celebrations every moment along the way.
The book is a quick powerful inspirational read, perfect for in-flight reading or if you are in-between flights, only 100-pages short. Your trip will be memorable not because of the outcomes you created but because you read this little book.
Deepak Chopra is a world-leading expert in the area of human potential, health and well-being. In this book he shares principles that have helped him and countless others (that includes me and my clients) to achieve both material success and joyous fulfilment.
These principles will help you to live your highest potential, make a big impact in the world through your work or business, make a difference to the communities and country you are part of, become a key person of influence in your industry transforming the industry itself.
If you are someone who is committed to lead your business from good to great from a state of grace, understand and implement these principles.
The book begins with this beautiful quote from Upanishads, a part of Vedas which are the most ancient Hindu scriptures:
You are what your deep, driving desire is.
As your desire is, so is your will.
As your will is, so is your deed.
As your deed is, so is your destiny.
Of course, the question is whether you will nourish, grow and evolve yourself physically, emotionally, mentally, spiritually to allow your destiny to fully bloom.
Here are few excerpts from the book to inspire you to read the book from cover to cover:
1. Success in life could be defined as the continued expansion of happiness and the progressive realization of worthy goals. Success is the ability to fulfil your desires with effortless ease. ... There are many aspects to success; material wealth is only one component. ... success also includes good health, energy and enthusiasm for life, fulfilling relationships, creative freedom, emotional and psychological stability, a sense of well-being and a peace of mind.
2. ... pure joy ... pure knowledge, infinite silence, perfect balance, invincibility, simplicity and bliss. This is our essential nature. When you discover your essential nature and know who you really are, in that knowing itself is the ability to fulfill any dream you have ...
3. The need for approval, the need to control things, and the need for external power are needs that are based on fear.
4. The ego ... is not who you really are. The ego is your self-image; it is a social mask; it is the role you are playing. Your social mask thrives on approval. It wants to control, and it is sustained by power, because it lives in fear. You true Self, which is your spirit, your soul, is completely free of those things. It is immune to criticism, it is unfearful of any challenge, and it feels beneath no one. And yet, it is also humble and feels superior to no one ...
5. ... if you want to make full use of the creativity which is inherent in pure consciousness, then you have to have access to it. One way to access the field is through the daily practise of silence, meditation and non-judgment. Spending time in nature will also give you access to the qualities inherent in the field: infinite creativity, freedom and bliss.
6. And then you create the possibility of dynamic activity while at the same time carrying the stillness of the eternal, unbounded, creative mind. ... This coexistence of opposites - stillness and dynamism at the same time - makes you independent of situations, circumstances, people and things.
7. ... if you want joy, give joy to others; if you want love, learn to give love; if you want attention and appreciation, learn to give attention and appreciation; if you want material affluence, help others to become materially affluent. In fact, the easiest way to get what you want is to help others get what they want. This principle works equally well for individuals, corporations, societies and nations.
8. Every action generates a force of energy that returns to us in like kind ... what we sow is what we reap. And when we choose actions that bring happiness and success to others, the fruits of our karma is happiness and success.
9. Whether you like it or not, everything that is happening at this moment is a result of the choices you've made in the past. Unfortunately, a lot of us make choices unconsciously, and therefore we don't think they are choices - and yet, they are. ... your future is generated by the choices you are making in every moment of your life. ... The more you bring your choices into the level of your conscious awareness, the more you will make those choices which are spontaneously correct - both for you and those around you.
10. ... when we harness the forces of harmony, joy and love, we create success and good fortune with effortless ease.
11. An integral being knows without going, sees without looking, and accomplishes without doing. - Lao Tzu.
12. Least effort is expended when your actions are motivated by love, because nature is held together by the energy of love. When you seek power and control over other people, you waste energy. ... When your actions are motivated by love, your energy multiplies and accumulates - and the surplus energy you gather and enjoy can be channeled to create anything that you want, including unlimited wealth.
13. ... most of our energy goes into upholding our importance ... if we were capable of losing some of that importance, two extraordinary things would happen to us. One, we would free our energy from trying to maintain the illusory idea of our grandeur; and two, we would provide ourselves enough energy to ... catch a glimpse of the actual grandeur of the Universe. - from The Art of Dreaming by Carlos Castaneda.
14. This moment - the one you are experiencing right now - is the culmination of all the moments you have experienced in the past. This moment is as it is because the entire Universe is as it is. When you struggle against this moment, you are actually struggling against the entire Universe. Instead, you can make the decision that today you will not struggle against the whole Universe by struggling against this moment. This means that your acceptance of this moment is total and complete. You accept things as they are, not as you wish they were in this moment. ... You can wish for things in the future to be different, but in this moment you have to accept things as they are.
15. When you feel frustrated or upset by a person or a situation, remember that you are not reacting to the person or the situation, but to your feelings about the person or the situation. These are your feelings, and your feelings are not someone else's fault. When you recognize and understand this completely, you are ready to take responsibility for how you feel and to change it.
16. Responsibility means not blaming anyone or anything for your situation, including yourself. Having accepted the circumstance, this event, this problem; responsibility then means the ability to have a creative response to the situation as it is now.
17. Whenever confronted by a tyrant, tormentor, teacher, friend, or foe (they all mean the same thing), remind yourself - "This moment is as it should be." Whatever relationships you have attracted in your life at this moment are precisely the ones you need in your life at this moment. There is a hidden meaning behind all events, and this hidden meaning is serving your evolution.
15. If you just relinquish the need to defend your point of view, you will in that relinquishment, gain access to enormous amounts of energy that have been previously wasted. When you become defensive, blame others, and do not accept and surrender to the moment, your life meets resistance.
16. ... if you stop fighting and resisting, ... if you embrace the present ..., joy will be born within you and you will drop the terrible burdens ... of defensiveness, resentment and hurtfulness. Only then will you become lighthearted, carefree, joyous and free. ... When you have the exquisite combination of acceptance, responsibility and defenselessness, you will experience life flowing with effortless ease. When you remain open to all points of views - not rigidly attached to only one - your dreams and desires will flow with nature's desires.
17. Attention energizes and intention transforms. Whenever you put your attention on will grow stronger in your life. Whatever you take your attention away from will wither, disintegrate, and disappear. Intention, on the other hand, triggers transformation of energy and information. Intention organizes its own fulfilment. ... Intention is the real power behind desire. Intent alone is very powerful, because intent is desire without attachment to the outcome. ... Intention combined with detachment leads to life-centered, present-moment awareness. And when action is performed in present moment awareness, it is most effective. Your intent is for the future, but your attention is in the present. ... The future is something you can always create through detached intention, but you should never struggle against the present.
18. One-pointed intention is that quality of attention that is unbending in its fixity of purpose. One-pointed intention means holding your attention to the intended outcome with such unbending purpose that you absolutely refuse to allow obstacles to consume and dissipate the focused quality of your attention. There is a total and complete exclusion of all obstacles from your consciousness. You are able to maintain an unshakable serenity while being committed to your goal with intense passion. This is the power of detached (present moment) awareness and one-pointed, focused intention simultaneously.
19. ... in order to acquire anything in the physical Universe, you have to relinquish your attachment to it. This doesn't mean you give up the intention to create your desire. You don't give up the intention, and you don't give up the desire. You give up your attachment to the result. ... Detachment is synonymous with wealth consciousness, because with detachment there is freedom to create. Only from detached involvement can one have joy and laughter. ... Without detachment, we are prisoners of helplessness, hopelessness, mundane needs, trivial concerns, quiet desperation and seriousness - the distinctive features of everyday mediocre existence and poverty consciousness.
20. Every single problem that you have in your life is the seed of an opportunity for some greater benefit.
21. Everyone has a purpose in life ... a unique gift or special talent to give to others. And when we blend this unique talent with service to others, we experience the ecstacy and exultation of our own spirit, which is the ultimate goal of all goals.
Wishing you the clarity to march forth on your Hero's journey to fulfil the purpose of your life.
If you cut the roots of a tree, the tree will die not only because it will have no foundation to stand on but also because it no longer will receive any nourishment. Similarly, we human beings will die emotionally, intellectually / mentally, spiritually and as a result of that physically (much before we were meant to) if we deny our cultural heritage because it is the foundation, the roots of the tree of our very existence.
Cultural Heritage is an expression of the ways of living developed by a community and passed on from generation to generation, including customs, practices, places, objects, artistic expressions, language, literature, values, scriptures and wisdom in all different forms.
If I don't accept, love and revere who I am as a human being, I will not have the understanding and wisdom to accept, love and revere the cultural heritage I am born into. If I don't accept, love and revere my own heritage that I am born into, I will not have the understanding and wisdom to accept, love and revere other communities and their heritage. How can there be love, peace and joy in such a world?
Macro does not create the micro. Micro creates the macro. Who I am and who you are, what I do and what you do, is all that is needed to start a quiet revolution in the world to transform a business, a nation and, ultimately, what it means to be a human being; leading humanity to its next level of evolution and consciousness. Try complaining about and fighting with the macro instead of working on the micro (the person you see in the mirror), all you will get is frustration, angst and a lot of wasted time & effort because you will find that nothing much has changed.
Wait, the malaise doesn't end here. If I don't accept, love and revere who I am as a human being and the culture I am born into; it also impacts my self-esteem and as an outcome of that, my productivity, efficiency, creativity and innovation. I get stuck in the monotony of Life with no access to unleash my inner greatness to make that big impact in the world for joyous fulfilling success and prosperity.
You want to lead your business from good to great and make a huge difference in the world? The first, unfortunately invisible, step is to embrace who you are and that includes your cultural heritage and identity. In your owning yourself fully and coming home to yourself, you free your people to own themselves and come home to themselves. As you and your people stand tall in the joy of who each one of you is, your customers will find the freedom to own themselves and come home to themselves. In that way, you not only create greater profitability because of increased productivity and innovation because of the courage found only in truly owning who you are, you start a ripple effect to make a difference to your people, your country and the world.
You may say, there are religious and national fanatics who are causing destruction. They seem to have pride in their cultural heritage and use that as an excuse to create a havoc. The equation doesn't seem to fit in with the above logic. Let us dig deeper. The dictionary defines a fanatic as a person filled with excessive and single-minded zeal, especially for an extreme religious or political cause. I would add the following to this definition - "without excessive and single-minded zeal for one's own physical, emotional, intellectual / mental and spiritual growth". As long as the focus is changing the macro (the world outside) without transforming the micro (self); all we will get are fanatics and the mess that only the fanatics can cause.
You may ask - Does that mean I need to follow all the customs, rituals and traditions that don't make sense to me? I will say understand the underlying science and if it doesn't connect with you, please don't do it because that spreads inauthenticity in the world. In the end, if what you are doing doesn't have you experience love, gratitude and reverence for yourself and for all beings, it is something that needs to be challenged. Not in others, but in your own self. Growth is an outcome of transforming who I am and not forcing others to change to fit into my world-view.
Isaac Newton said that - If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulder of giants. Each generation progresses by standing on the achievements of the previous generation. How can India progress if we born in India don't own and embrace the achievements of Rabindranath Tagore, JRD Tata, Sri Aurobindo, Vivekananda, Mahatma Gandhi, Guru Nanak, Buddha, C V Raman, Homi J Bhabha, Ramanujan, Salim Ali, Deepak Chopra, Kiran Mazumdar, Sarojini Naidu, Amrita Sher-Gil, Kalpana Chawla, Robin Sharma, Deepak Parekh, Premchand and million others who have transformed our lives, in small or big measure? And, so it is for every other country in the world.
In a country where there is love, gratitude and reverence for its cultural heritage instead of starry-eyed admiration for the glitter in other countries (without that for one's own), let my people awake. In a planet where there is love, gratitude and reverence for oneself and for all living beings, let my fellow beings awake.
May you and I awaken to the inner Light that each one of us is born with to live the purpose of our journey this Lifetime through the businesses we run; families, communities and countries that we are a part of.
How Vulnerability is the Starting Point on your Hero's Journey to your Highest Self?
Vulnerability is the courage to be authentic about your inauthenticities. Vulnerability is calling yourself out when you catch yourself being inauthentic. Vulnerability is letting others know your fears and ugly truths instead of hiding them from not only others but from your own self.
When we have the courage to be vulnerable, we will walk into joyous freedom. When others know our deep dark ugly secrets, the fear of others knowing we are not good enough no longer holds us hostage and can no longer blackmail us into living a small life. That's when we can break free from the chains of bondage, which are inside us rather than outside, to live our greatest life, to realise our biggest dreams in deepest communion with our highest self and fulfil 100% of our intentions in all areas of our lives.
In this way, moving from fear into freedom is the purpose of our life so that we can fulfil on our destiny to be Heroes of our journey this lifetime.
Here's the framework that I use for myself and for my clients:
Gear 0 - At this stage, either we are a Victim of other people or circumstances or both, feeling trapped by Life. Or, we are a Fighter resisting Life, fighting to get what we want. The Universe gifts us with pain and loss to awaken us to our Hero's journey. If we are lucky, we learn the message the Universe is giving us from the gift of the pain and loss and grow bigger than who we are as human beings. This conscious inner growth is our only access to go beyond the pain and loss.
And, yet, there's another way to grow. We choose to grow much before pain and loss is needed to awaken the giant within us. The second path is the path of Insights, which we access through someone mentoring / coaching us if we give ourselves the permission to receive that contribution.
Gear 1 - Either through pain and loss or through insights, we evolve to the next level of who we are as human beings. The first step is to look within for deeper self-awareness, for discovering our fears and ugly truths which we have pushed to the basement of our psyche, for discovering our coping strategy to hide our fears and ugly truths from our own self.
On discovery, go through the fire of vulnerable authenticity to acknowledge your fears and ugly truths to your own self and to others so that there is no need to hide behind a mask or an armour anymore. In doing that, the stress and heaviness falls away. There is a sense of relief and a lightness of being.
By doing this, we have truly embraced ourselves - flaws and all. Now we are ready for the next stage of our Hero's Journey.
During a session I was leading for entrepreneurs and business owners, I got present to a neediness to get one of the participants to renew his engagement with me as his coach. I called myself out and acknowledged that to the group. Before that acknowledgement, my stomach was in knots and my heart was burning with humiliation. On acknowledging my ugly truth, I freed myself, him and the group because 80% of communication happens non-verbally and the group energy would have been vitiated by my pretence of that neediness not being there. In that space of authentic vulnerability that got created, I was able to coach more effectively and powerfully making a much bigger difference than I would have been able to do otherwise because most of my energy would have been consumed in the hiding of the neediness. Not only that, the participants experienced the courage to be vulnerable. That single act of authentic vulnerability contributed massively not only to the participants but to me, their leader.
Just by shifting to this first stage, so much locked up productivity, performance, creativity and innovation gets released because we become true collaborators, can give up competing with each other and the concomitant hideous pretence, to now connect authentically and deeply with each other.
Gear 2 - After having forgiven ourselves for our flaws in the first stage, we are now ready to evolve to the next stage of leadership - to forgive others for their flaws and accept them the way they are and the way they are not, without any need to control them, to simply love them unconditionally without the need for them to change for us to love them, giving them the space to grow at their own pace and on their own path, experiencing joyous gratitude for being on our own journey and for all beings who share a bit of our journey with us.
Gear 3 - At this stage, we begin to experience reverence for all beings and all things. There is childlike trust and faith in the Universe. We begin to receive with joyous gratitude whatever situations Life sends our way as gifts of the Universe. We no longer try to make things happen our way because there is an inner knowing that our way is already unfolding. We leap into exponential productivity, performance, creativity and innovation. We have the clarity on which 20% gives us 80% outcomes and courage to do only those 20%. From complexity, we move towards simplicity realizing that good solutions are complex but great solutions are simple. The power of clarity helps us go deeper within and create higher levels of success on the outside, unimaginable before. From 'so much to do, so little time' frenzy of Gear 0, we flow into abundance of time for all that we want to do. We begin to welcome and embrace whatever we resisted before, uncovering more fears and dropping more layers of the thick dark wall to finally connect to our inner Light, our innate Greatness.
Gear 4 - Our power to create continues to expand and we find ourselves in the 4th stage, Gear 4. In this stage, we have the power to inspire people in our space to step into Gear 1.
Gear 5 - This is when we step into mastery consciousness and experience the power to inspire people in our space to step into Gear 2.
Our productivity, performance, effectiveness, creativity, innovation continues to expand exponentially from Gear 3 to Gear 4 to Gear 5 as we now have the ability to inspire other people to expand their productivity, performance, effectiveness, creativity and innovation. We now have the power to lead our businesses, our communities, our countries from good to great.
The evolution from Gear 0 to Gear 5 is an outcome of a conscious decision to transform who we are as human beings. To progress on this path, we begin to drop bit-by-bit limiting habits and take on growth habits across all the 4 bodies of our Being (physical, mental / intellectual, emotional and spiritual).
As we continue walking on this journey from fear to love and freedom, from scarcity to abundance, from a victim to a creator, from struggle to effortlessness and grace, from ignorance and unconsciousness to deep awareness and wisdom, from lethargy of the mind / body / soul to joyous energy of effective and powerful action; we realise our greatest dreams in deepest communion with our highest self and have it all - deeply fulfilling successful abundance-creating creatively self-expressed career, loving harmonious relationships, happy responsible kids with their genius joyfully expressed, nourishing nurturing our own self, while making a difference in the world through our work and life.
Wishing you the joy of the journey to come home to yourself.
Write something about yourself. No need to be fancy, just an overview.