Why your Spiritual, Emotional, Mental and Physical Well-Being is Critical for your Business Success?
How do you define business success? How about:
1. Sustainable, repeatable, profitable, scalable way for an energy exchange with your customer community - giving your product or service to your customer that he chases you to buy from and pay you money for. Lets call this Business Excellence.
2. Continuous creativity and innovation for making a difference to your customer community to ensure such strong loyalty and engagement with your business that not only they ongoingly buy from you but inspire their family and friends to become your customers. Lets call this Craft Mastery.
3. High levels of productivity and performance for creating greater value for your customer and greater profitability for the company which is the oxygen that your organization needs to go on breathing and living. Lets call this Leadership Depth.
I work with my clients through a 5-stage process of evolution and transformation on each of the above journeys. But that's taking us away from the question we are currently in the inquiry of. You may deep-dive into this process by reading a different blog by clicking below:
How to Transform your Organization from Good to Great
If you are still here and haven't as yet clicked yourself away, let me give you a quick reminder of what we are in the inquiry of at this moment - Why your spiritual, emotional, mental and physical well-being is critical to your business success?
If the output that we are seeking is Business Excellence, Craft Mastery and Leadership Depth as defined above; what input do we need to make the outcome a reality? I am asserting that if you and your team are not experiencing well-being in all the four bodies (spiritual, emotional, mental, physical) of your Being, your organizational car is going to run out of steam sooner or later. The car needs all the four wheels working in perfection for it to race ahead and keep on racing. Even one wheel off-axle or with less than optimum pressure or punctured, the car will come to a grinding halt with its destination of greatness still a long distance away.
Emotional issues like feeling disconnected with your spouse, experiencing emotional distance from your kids; spiritual issues like not being in touch with your highest purpose or not feeling centred; mental issues like stress; physical issues like pain in your shoulders or back or in any part of your physical body are all pebbles in your shoe. Can you win the gold medal in the Olympics of Business with your feet hurting with every step on the ground? Is your mind fully available to you, leading you to your highest level of creativity, innovation, productivity, performance; or is your mind distracted with the physical, emotional, spiritual, mental pain it is present to? If all you do is keep slogging yourself and your team to run with pebbles in all the shoes, will your organization die the death of mediocrity or will you together soar into the realm of greatness?
If you are inspired to create wellness at all levels, here's a brief introduction to the path. Know that each of your four bodies' growth is blocked because of blindspots or limiting habits that you are not present to. You may be present to some limiting habits and yet you may not have found a path to freedom.
The first step is to work with a coach who is more committed to your well-being, evolution and transformation than to receiving your love, approval or appreciation because that comes in the way of fearless coaching. Click on the below link to read more about this:
Who is a Great Coach?
1. Physical Well-Being
The key question to assess your physical well-being is - How healthy am I?
If you rated yourself 8 or above on a scale on 10, you are doing good though not great. Great would be 10 on 10 because you want to have greater physical energy with every passing year so that you are playing the game of Life with joy, aliveness and passion till your last breath. Hold yourself to account to be a 10 on 10, every moment of your life.
For physical well-being, you need to look at five aspects:
i. What and how are you eating? What are your eating habits? Are you taking care of your body like an athlete playing to win in the Olympics in the coming season?
ii. How well are you exercising? Are you using integrated exercise science like yoga to keep yourself fit at the highest level?
iii. Are you using an integrated science for healing like Ayurveda, Homeopathy etc. or do you get yourself cut-up or pop tons of pills to get away from the pain? Modern medical science is great as far as diagnostics is concerned but continues to have a blinkered approach towards healing. In the near future, I see all big hospitals transforming themselves to integrated healing centres with prevention as central to their business model rather than cure. In the current business model that the modern medical industry is caught up in, human sickness is the only way for them to be successful and profitable. This business model, for sure, will evolve just as all business models evolve towards sustainability, harmony and collaboration sooner or later.
iv. Your emotional well-being because limiting emotions actually cause dis-ease in the physical body. Anytime there is a discomfort in the body, know that the reason lies in your emotional body. There's enough research available in the world, so much so that the exact symptom in the physical body can be mapped to specific emotions and thought patterns.
v. You got it, your mental well-being as well. Limiting thought patterns cause limiting feelings / emotions which in turn cause dis-ease in the physical body.
If you are sceptical about the above model, write to me and I will link you up with the relevant research done in the world for you to explore, experiment and study.
2. Mental Well-Being
The key question to ask here is - How well can I focus?
Your ability to have fish-eye concentration like Arjuna in Mahabharata when he was aiming to shoot the eye of the fish hung-up on a pole by looking at its reflection down below in the bowl of water. When their guru, Dronacharya, asked what each of the students saw. He got various responses - fish, bowl, sky, water, self etc. And, all Arjuna saw was the eye of the fish. He was the only one whose arrow pierced right through the eye of the fish.
Laser-sharp focus or fish-eye concentration is what gives you productivity, performance, effectiveness and the ability to get so much more done in so less time.
3. Emotional Well-Being
The key question to ask here is - How happy am I?
Not the mask of happiness that we put on to show the world but deep within, when we are all by ourselves. The easiest way to assess this is to do this mirror exercise for atleast a month - look into your eyes in the mirror for 5 minutes daily. Share with me what shows up for you.
4. Spiritual Well-Being
The key question to ask here is - Why am I doing all of this? What is my purpose?
In my experience, this is the place to begin from. Work with your coach to create this connection with your Highest Self. Once the curtain drops between you and you, you will feel centred, totally at peace with what is, with nowhere to go and nothing to prove; experiencing oneness and harmony with your own self, with every other being outside of you, with the Universe itself.
This is the wellspring from where everything will arise.
Sending love your way as you wake up to the new reality that you are, to live in the expression of your greatness, giving yourself the permission to let your Light shine, giving everyone else the permission to let their Light shine. Inside of this journey, everything will get created - Business Excellence; Craft Mastery; Leadership Depth; loving harmonious relationship with your spouse, your parents, your siblings, your colleagues and everyone else; happy responsible kids with their genius joyfully expressed; your experience of yourself nourished and nurtured; your being at the source of transformation in the world. Welcome to that Brave New World.
There are tons of time-management programs / books / trainings in the world. If all of them really solved the problem of time-management, everyone would be an expert in time-management by now. Though the reality is most of the world still struggles with time. Why have all the systems / processes / procedures / structures / theories not solved the problem so far? It is because the underlying reason for time-management issue is that it is in reality an emotional issue and no amount of structuring time better will solve the problem.
Here are some distinctions that you may want to explore because you cannot master life if you don't learn to master time.
1. If you have time management issues, it is your energy that you need to manage not time because time does not exist. It is a created concept. Energy sure does exist. If you have energy, you will finish your task in lightening speed. If you are experiencing loss of energy, you will only end up procrastinating or taking up twice as much time to complete it; or you may start to work on the task and leave it unfinished.
2. Loss of energy is an emotional issue. So stop trying to manage time, learn instead to manage your energy. Dig deeper inside to unearth limiting thoughts and the resultant limiting emotions that are sucking your energy like a leech. Pull the leeches out and throw them out to recover your energy and your life.
3. You are never not able to do something. You are way more powerful than that. The truth is if you are not able to do something, it is because you don't really have an intention of doing it. Yes, yes; you may desperately want the outcome. But desperately wanting the outcome is not the same as having a powerful intention for creating it and putting your commitment behind it to make it happen. Make a list of all the things that you know you want to do but never had the time to do it. It would be an interesting exercise to look at each item on your list and asking yourself few questions:
a. If it is important, why haven't I done it so far?
b. If it isn't important, why is it on the list?
c. Why is there a resistance for completing this task?
d. Why don't I want to complete this task?
e. What are my limiting thoughts about this task based on my past experience?
f. What are my limiting thoughts about this task based on my future expectation?
g. If this task gets completed, how would I feel?
h. Do I want to do this or is it a 'I should or I must or I have to' task?
i. How will I feel if I dropped it from my list altogether?
3. The way to solve procrastination is by doing the very thing you want to procrastinate.
4. The way to get energy is by completing a task. All unfinished tasks drain your energy. You don't need energy to do the difficult tasks that you are resisting. You do the difficult tasks to create the energy to accomplish even more with the time that you have.
5. You can either serve other people in the moment or please other people to win their love, appreciation and approval. Ask yourself before doing anything - Am I serving or pleasing others with the action I am taking? Nothing wastes more time than pleasing others. Use your time productively by serving others. It releases more energy in you; and increases your productivity, performance, creativity and innovation.
6. You are either a Creator or a Reactor. If you want an abundance of time; choose to be a Creator, a Peaceful Warrior, who creates life by choosing to be love, gratitude, reverence, integrity and mastery. A Peaceful Warrior wages battles on the inside rather than waste her energy struggling with the world outside because she knows that the process of creation is from inside out.
7. For mastering time, the only question you need to ask yourself is - What do I need to do right now? and then using laser-sharp focus to do just that. As Bruce Lee said, extraordinary people are ordinary people with laser-sharp focus.
8. Empty your head by writing down all that you need to do and then choose to either do it right now or put it on the calendar or strike it out. Once everything is on the calendar, just focus on what you need to do right now.
9. Write down all your problems and transform each into a project. The very shift in the way you represent it - a project instead of a problem - eases your resistance and fills you up with energy. Brainstorm with your coach on alternatives. Complete all tasks related to the project with a present moment focus. Nothing releases more energy than completing a task and putting it behind you.
10. Use Agility of Mind to shift from an 'OR' thinking to an 'AND' thinking. The default human thinking pattern is either I can do this or that - X or Y. How about challenging yourself and saying - I will do this and that - X and Y. New ideas will emerge to support you to do both within the same time, which you hadn't thought of before.
11. Lack of time is because there is too much thinking and too less doing happening.
12. Masters do one thing at a time with complete focus.
13. If your purpose is clear, you can never get distracted and will always know what needs to be done right now. That is the way to stay ahead of time.
14. Not honouring your promises reduce your language to being descriptive. You no longer have the power to create because your language is no longer generative. Lets assume you say - I am the world's best football player; if that's the game you are playing. If you don't do what you say you would do (to others and to yourself) by the time you said you would do it, the way you meant to do it; your mind continues to sleep, even when you make a commitment, knowing you anyway never do what you say and your words remain mere rhetoric rather than something that transforms you and the whole world along with that. You miss to unleash the power of the mind that can create anything that you want to be, do and have.
15. If you are not doing because you don't know what to do; stop playing the fool because that's not who you are. It is only in doing that you discover what you need to know.
16. There are two ways to create -
a. turn anti-clockwise on the Cycle of Life™ and work on your limiting thoughts and beliefs, tearing each one down and throwing them out of your Being.
b. turn clockwise on the Cycle of Life™ and keep taking actions that you know you need to take irrespective of what thoughts and emotions show up to distract you.
c. There is third way too, which is to keep doing both.
Be the Peaceful Warrior and master time because without that you cannot have it all - deeply fulfilling, super successful, abundance creating career; loving harmonious relationships; happy responsible kids with their genius joyfully expressed; lots of nourishing me-time while being at the source of transformation in the world.
Masters from whom I learnt about managing life by managing time and a lot more. Owe deep gratitude to each one of them.
1. Time Warrior by Steve Chandler
2. Eat that Frog by Brian Tracey
3. The 4-Hour Work Week by Tim Ferris
4. Organize Your Mind, Organize Your Life by Dr Paul Hammerness and Margaret Moore
5. My coach Rich Litvin
and many many many more.
What are you committed to be the Best in the World? Making this Personal Inner Commitment shifts everything. This is different from your goals, which are usually out there for love, approval and appreciation from others. Your personal inner commitment is for your own self, what you stand for; irrespective of other people or circumstances. It is how you do anything and everything. It ultimately is who you are, how you live, how you act, how you dialogue with others, the space you create.
My personal inner commitment of being the best coach in the world is my inner light that guides me forward to make the choices that are in alignment with that commitment - waking up at 4:00 am for yoga and meditation, weekly fresh fruit days, bi-annual fresh fruit weeks, drinking water and fresh juices over other beverages, cutting down sugar from my diet, walking my kids to school instead of driving them in the car, investing heavily in my professional and personal training & development, practising golf consistently, reading and writing daily, looking in the mirror when eyes don't shine around me, holding myself to account when people don't experience my love & reverence for them, practising childlike trust & faith in the Universe by just living in the moment. It doesn't matter whether I end up becoming the best coach or not, what matters the most is that it is who I am committed to be and choose to play the game of life from there. Playing like this has me experience fun, fulfilment and freedom. It gives me access to have it all.
It doesn't mean I don't have dreams and intentions. Yes, for sure, though I don't have goals for they suck away energy by creating a space of scarcity because by the very definition, goals mean that I don't have that right now. I find dreams and intentions powerfully inspirational and draw out a lot more effective action from me. It is a place to come from, not a place to go to. I have a dream to coach CEOs around the world to lead humanity to the next level of its evolution by transforming their organizations from good to great through a new model of leadership which is 'love' centered and not 'fear' based. I have an intention to powerfully serve 28 clients in the next so many months; though when I am with a client, that is the only client I have. I think, feel, act in this moment to realize that dream and to fulfil that intention by being in action in the present moment. If you step back, you will realize goals are externally thrust upon while dreams and intentions are internally inspired. That is why there is joyful effortlessness about the latter and lot of stress & struggle in the former. Goals only leverage our intellectual / mental and the physical bodies. Dreams and intentions leverage all the four bodies of our Being - intellectual / mental, physical, emotional and spiritual. No points for guessing where you will find greater performance, productivity, creativity and innovation.
Your personal inner commitment gives you the path to fulfil on your purpose of life. How do you find the purpose of your life? You begin by figuring what you want for yourself. What you want for yourself is your Quest this lifetime. The only way to get what you want is by giving it to others, which then is the purpose of your life. What I most want is to realize my greatest dreams in deepest communion with my highest self and have it all - fulfilling successful business, loving harmonious relationships, happy responsible kids and lots of nourishing me-time while being at the source of transformation in the world. Therefore, my purpose of life is to support others to realize their greatest dreams in deepest communion with their highest self and have it all. My personal inner commitment to be the best coach in the world is the journey I commit to undertake to fulfil on my purpose this lifetime and take along with me my Values (love, gratitude, reverence, integrity, mastery) as my companions on this road to my own self.
Questions for you to be in the inquiry of -
1. What is your Quest this lifetime?
2. What is your Purpose this lifetime?
3. What is your Personal Inner Commitment?
4. What are your Values?
5. What action will you take in the next three minutes to make all of this come alive for you?
Wishing you the joyous mastery of your craft and your own self. Both actually are the two sides of the same coin. You cannot get one without the other.
Two of our ancestors were standing outside a lion's den. Suddenly, the lion roared. One of our ancestors ran to climb the nearest tree, perspiring with fear. The second ancestor laughed at the first one who had run off; feeling masterful, powerful and full of joy at being alive; with no fear of anything at all. The story ends, obviously, with the devouring of the second ancestor by the lion. The first ancestor survived because of his fear. And, we ended up being his children.
A Question - Any answers to why a dinosaur is not writing this blog and dinosaurs aren't reading this blog. You got it. It's because they are extinct and humans SURVIVED. Charles Darwin called his theory of evolution - Survival of the Fittest. We all got confused and focussed on the wrong word. The most important word is not 'Fittest' but 'Survival'. When do you need to survive? Obviously, when you have Fear in your body and are constantly surveying the environment for what will go wrong so that you can put up your defenses to survive. And, that's the story of our evolution. We are children of 'Fear' and not 'Joy'.
Our default state is 'Fear'. Our brain has been wired through the evolutionary process to give a default unconscious fear-based response to the environment. Fear is hard-wired in our brains. Transformation is about 'trans'cending this default fear-based 'form', which is what Mastering the Self is all about; which I also refer to as Personal Mastery.
If we were sitting in a room having a conversation, and I ask you to take away the Light from the room. You could unscrew the bulb or the tube-light, and walk out. After keeping them on the table outside, you come back into the dark room and I ask you to take away the darkness with you. Would you be able to do that? You wouldn't be able to, isn't it? If the Test of Reality is that you should be able to hold what is real in your hands, feel it and it should have weight, shape and volume; then Light has existence and Darkness is merely an absence of it.
Similarly, Fear is merely an absence of Love. Then, Personal Mastery is about transcending the default 'Fear' in the 'form' to be 'Love', moving from an absence of something to a presence of something. That is why mid-life crisis and now quarter-life crisis are described by a visceral experience of emptiness. Fall on your knees and thank the Universe if you are in the middle of such a crisis because it is the call of your Highest Self to lead you to your greatest version of yourself; to learn, grow and evolve from Fear to Love.
There are five stages of Transformation. I call them Gears of Leadership because you need to move from a lower gear to a higher gear, gear at a time; just like in a car.
If we are seeking to lead organizations from good to great, working on the surface will not serve the cause. We need to dive deeper under the layers to seek transformation from within to learn, grow and evolve to being Gear 5 Leaders because only Gear 5 Leaders have the Power to Create and lead organizations from good to great; and Have It All. Everything else is merely huffing and puffing on the road of mediocrity.
Wishing you strength and courage to give yourself the permission to let your Light shine through, walk on the path to your Greatness to live your purpose of life, your destiny and Have It All.
Write something about yourself. No need to be fancy, just an overview.